Sunday, March 1, 2009

Eggs and Hashbrowns with Spinach Mornay Sauce

We love to have breakfast for dinner at our house - in fact we have it once a week. Eggs are an inexpensive protein, so it help keeps our grocery bill down. And we just love breakfast food. This recipe is adapted from this Emeril Lagasse recipe. I really didn't change a whole lot, my version is just less sophisticated in presentation (ie easier to prepare). You can find my recipe here.

Eggs - $.99 / dozen at Smith's, used 4 - total - $.33

Potatoes - $1.79 / 10 lb bag, used about 1 lb - total - $.18

Cheese - $1.00 as part of promo at Smith's, used $1/2 coupon - total - $.50

Butter - I use butter so infrequently that I honestly can't remember what I spent on it (I do know it was on sale), so let's just say it was $.10

Milk - $1.50 / gal at Smith's, used $.75 coupon - total for 1 gal - $.75, used 1 cup - total - $.05

Flour - bought a 25lb bag at Macey's last year (case lot sale) for $8.99, approximate total - $.05

Vegetable oil - approximate total - $.20

Salt and pepper - approximate total - $.10

Nutmeg - I actually got this for free from my mom (she brought it back from a cruise), but if you had to buy it, it would be about $.10

Spinach - On sale at Albertson's for $1.67 as part of spend $30 save $15 promo - total - $.83


Grand Total - $2.45 for 4 servings, $.61 for each serving

No comments: