Saturday, March 14, 2009

Super Juice

I've heard of green smoothies from several sources and always thought it sounded totally gross, very weird, freakishly healthy, and just completely bizarre. But, I am now a believer. I saw on moneysavingmom that she was making them one week and decided to give 'em a try.

Basically there is no end to the combination of flavors that you can make, but we always start ours the same way.

I add 1 cup vanilla soy milk and 1 cup juice (usually orange or pineapple) to the blender (we've added coconut milk a couple of times too).

I put in 2 large handfuls of fresh spinach and blend it up until it is almost completely smooth.

Then I add the fruit - I always do 4 servings. We've added apples, bananas, kiwi, blueberries, strawberries and pineapple. I always add half an avocado too, which sounds icky but you can't taste it at all and avocados are soooooooooooo good for you.

Sometimes if the fruit isn't ripe enough we'll add 1 Tbs or so of Splenda to help sweeten it up.

Blend it all up and serve - it makes 2 large glasses and 1 small one for Hunter.

We call it Super Juice because to a 2 year old boy, anything with the word "Super" in it is automatically cool. You can't taste the spinach in it at all, but you get all the health benefits of eating it. These smoothies have made such a difference in my day. I have a lot more energy and don't get hungry before lunch. Hunter loves it too - he gets so excited when I tell him that his Super Juice is ready. I'm telling you, you have to try it.

No comments: