Sunday, March 1, 2009

Pepperoni Pizza Grilled Cheese Sandwiches

I am not very good at feeding my kids "kid" food. My son was 3 years old when he had a peanut butter and honey sandwich for the first time. I don't believe in dumbing down food for kids and my son grew up eating things like asparagus, salmon and blue cheese. He loves it and is a great eater. But, I do realize that I need to lighten up a little and let him have standard kid fare too. So, I'm trying to serve more kid friendly recipes in our house. This is one that I came up with when I had all the ingredients for pepperoni pizza but was not wanting to turn on the oven. So, I decided to come up with something new, even though not terribly exciting, it was a big hit with the kids both young and old (aka DH). You can find the recipe here (although there's not much to it and you can probably figure it out yourself just by reading the title).

Here's what I spent on it:

Bread - Free at Albertson's - they had coupons taped to the bread that gave you the bread for free when you bought 2 lbs of fruit. So, I bought 2 lbs of bananas (which I was going to buy anyways) and I got the loaf of bread for free!

Cheese - $1.50 at Smith's, part of a promotion - saved $.50 when I bought 10 items, used $1/2 coupon - total - $.50 for 8 oz, used 6oz - total - $.38

Marinara sauce - $1.67 at Albertson's, part of a promotion - save $15 when you spend $30 - total - $.84, doubled $1/2 coupon - total - Free

Pepperoni - Manager's Special markdown at Smith's - total - $1.39 for 8 oz, used 6 - total - $1.04

Dried basil - approximate total - $.15

Dried oregano - approximate total - $.10

Cooking spray - approximate total - $.05


Grand Total - $1.72 for 4 servings, $.43 for each serving

No comments: