Sunday, March 1, 2009

Grilled BBQ Chicken Burritos


After the Kraft coupon bonanza last month I have a lot of BBQ sauce. And to be honest, Kraft BBQ sauce is not my favorite, but free is free and I couldn't pass it up (actually, I made about $4.00 buying my 8 bottles - sweet!). So, I'm coming up with recipes where I jazz it up - giving it more flavor and personality. This one is adapted from a recipe in the Kraft Food and Family monthly magazine. In order to keep costs down, I decreased the amount of chicken and added black beans. Pretty much anytime I make a hispanic dish, I cut the amount of meat down and add black beans instead. They are very good for you and are super cheap. I make these on the grill because I like how the tortilla crisps up, and it doesn't heat up my house. See the recipe here.

Mission whole wheat tortillas - $2.76 / 10, used 8, total - $2.21
Boneless, skinless chicken breasts - $1.69 / lb at Buy Low, total - $1.00
Black beans - bought at Smith's case lot sale - $.38
Green bell pepper - $.50 at Walmart
Red bell pepper - $1.00 at Walmart
Large onion - $.20 / lb at Walmart - total - $.20
Kraft BBQ Sauce - $.88 at Smith's, used $1.00 coupon - Free (actuall better than free!)
vegetable oil, Canola Oil Spray - approximately $.25
salt and pepper, Chili powder, Cumin, ground Coriander, Chipotle powder - approximately $1.00
8oz Kraft shredded Sharp Cheddar cheese - $2.00 at Albertson's, doubled $1.00 coupon - Free
1/2 cup sour cream (used Daisy) - $1.00 / 8oz at Walmart, used 1/2 - total - $.50
1/4 cup chopped cilantro - $.50 at Walmart, used 1/3 - total $.16


Grand Total - $7.20 for 4 servings, $1.80 for each serving

No comments: