Sunday, March 1, 2009

Cali Burritos

This is our family's favorite burrito recipe. My recipe is an edited version of Tyler Florence's recipe. While this recipe isn't incredibly cheap, it tastes amazing, so if you're looking for restaurant quality taste, but with a cook-at-home price - this recipe is perfect for that. Using beans and rice to fill out a meal is always a great way to keep costs down. But, beans and rice don't have a lot of flavor and so they aren't my favorite. The sauce in this recipe packs a huge flavor punch, so there's nothing bland about the beans and rice here. You can find my recipe here.

Here's what I spent on it:

Chicken - $1.69 / lb at Buy Low - total - $1.00

Black beans - bought at Smith's case lot sale - $.38 / can

Rice - bought at Smith's case lot sale 2 years ago (!) - $10.99 / 20lbs, used 1/2 cup - total - $.11

Onion - $.25 / lb at Walmart - total - $.35

Chicken stock - home made - approximate total - $.25

Cilantro - $.50 at Walmart

Orange - can't find my recipt for this, but I'm guessing it was around $.50 (it's not orange season and I know they were pretty expensive / lb)

Lime - 5 / $1.00 at Buy Low - total - $.20

Pineapple juice (I drain the pineapple juice from a can of pineapple and use that) - I count this as free because I use the juice that would normally be thrown away

Chipotle pepper - $1.26 / can at Walmart, used 1 - approxmiate total - $.15

Garlic $2.48 / lb at Walmart - total for 1 bulb - $.42, used 1 clove - approximate total - $.04

Honey - $13.96 / half gal at Sam's Club, used 2 Tbs - total - $.24

salt and pepper - approximate total - $.10

Vegetable oil - approximate total - $.10

Tortillas - $2.92 at Walmart, used $1.00 coupon - total $1.92 for 8, used 4 - total $.96

Avocados - $.69 each at Walmart - total - $1.38

Sour cream - $.88 / 16oz at Buy Low, used 1/2 cup - total - $.22


Grand Total - $7.38 for 4 servings, $1.85 for each serving

No comments: