Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Food For Frugal Foodies


I've started another blog called "Food for Frugal Foodies". I decided to start it about a month ago after seeing a lot of bland (and some out right disgusting) meals on some of the money saving blogs I follow. I want to showcase some of the tasty meals that I create with my frugal finds. My first recipe for Pineapple Poppy Seed Pasta Salad is here.

I love making pasta salads during the summer - I make dozens of different recipes. We're not talking the tri-color rotini pasta with grape tomatoes, cheese cubes and broccoli tossed with Italian Salad dressing. We're talking really yummy and unique pasta salads. Pasta salads are great in the summer because they're served cold, which is always refreshing on a hot day. I can make them early in the day before it gets too warm, so I'm not heating up the house during the hottest part of the day. I love being able to prep them ahead of time, it makes the post-nap / pre-dinner time a lot easier.


Here's the breakdown of what I spent on the ingredients:


Chicken - on sale at Smith's for $.69 / lb - total $2.35

Pasta - on Price Cut at Target for $1.00 / box, used $.75 off coupon - total $.25

Celery - on sale at Smith's for $0.99, used half - total $.50

Green Onions - on Rollback at Walmart for $.50, used 1/4 - total $.12

Dole Crushed Pineapple - $1.00 at Walmart, used $.50 off coupon - total $.50

Salad Dressing - on Price Cut at Target for $1.59, used $1.00 off coupon here and $.50 off Target coupon - total $.09


Grand Total: $3.81 for 6 servings (that's only $.64 / serving). Pair it with some seasonal fruits and veggies and you have a very frugal, and tasty, meal.

1 comment:

Claytie and Suzie said...

Good idea! I'll for sure be checking out your recipe blog.. I am all about simple (but yummy) recipes with in-expensive ingredients.