Sunday, April 12, 2009

Resurrection Easter Egg Hunt

Every year, when I was a child, we did a special Easter Egg hunt in addition to the usual one with candy filled eggs. My parents hid eggs that contained scriptures and objects that told the story of Christ's Crucifixion and resurrection. I decided that Hunter was old enough this year to appreciate it, so I went ahead and made a set of eggs for our family. I though I'd share them with you too.

You'll need 10 eggs, a sacrament cup, 3 dimes, a small piece of soap, a dice, a small square of red fabric, 2 toothpicks made into a cross, a nail, a strip of white fabric, and a rock.

Use the following scriptures:

Matthew 26: 14 – 15 Then one of the twelve, called Judas Iscariot, went unto the chief priests, And said unto them, What will ye give me, and I will deliver him unto you? And they covenanted with him for thirty pieces of silver. [3 dimes]

Matthew 26: 26 – 28 And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, band blessed it, and brake it, and gave it to the disciples, and said, Take, eat; this is my body. And he took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, Drink ye all of it; For this is my blood of the new testament, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. [sacrament cup]

Matthew 27: 23 – 24 And the governor said, Why, what evil hath he done? But they cried out the more, saying, Let him be crucified. When Pilate saw that he could prevail nothing, but that rather a tumult was made, he took water, and washed his hands before the multitude, saying, I am innocent of the blood of this just person: see ye to it. [piece of soap]

Matthew 27: 28 And they stripped him, and put on him a scarlet robe. [square of red fabric]

John 19: 17 And he bearing his cross went forth into a place called the place of a skull, which is called in the Hebrew Golgotha. [toothpick cross]

3 Nephi 11: 14 Arise and come forth unto me, that ye may thrust your hands into my side, and also that ye may feel the prints of the nails in my hands and in my feet, that ye may know that I am the God of Israel, and the God of the whole dearth, and have been slain for the sins of the world. [nail]

Matthew 27: 35 And they crucified him, and parted his garments, casting lots: that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, They parted my garments among them, and upon my vesture did they cast lots. [dice]

Matthew 27: 59 And when Joseph had taken the body, he wrapped it in a clean linen cloth, [strip of white fabric]

Matthew 27: 60 And laid it in his own new tomb, which he had hewn out in the rock: and he rolled a great stone to the door of the sepulchre, and departed. [rock]

Matthew 28: 5 – 6 And the angel answered and said unto the women, Fear not ye: for I know that ye seek Jesus, which was crucified. He is not here: for he is arisen, as he said. Come, see the place where the Lord lay. [this egg is left empty]

Print out and cut the scriptures into strips, fold them and place them in the eggs with the corresponding objects. Number them 1-10 so that you can go through them chronologically and tell the story in order. Hide and Hunt. Open them up and tell the story of Christ's Crucifixion and resurrection.

No comments: